Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Garden Update

Wow! It's been a busy two months!

Sometimes life gets in the way of living and that has been the way with me the past two months. Now it's time to get back to the good stuff.

When we last left the herb garden our hero had just finished building the stair-planter...


I took my parents old white bench and turned it bright blue. I planned to use this on my porch - and still will during the winter months. I painted it with a chalk paint (Plaid's Cascade from Joann Fabrics) planning on distressing it but decided I liked the blue enough as it is to keep it solid. I wish I had made this decision before painting. I would have sanded and prepared the bench beforehand. One of the great things about distressed items with chalk paint is that you don't have to do all the sanding and priming required with other paints.
Instead of using a wax to seal the bench, I decided to use polyurethane so that I could use it outside. The color went well with the Watermelon I used on the stairs.

Then I went crazy for with the Krylon Maxx paints. I brought more color in with my sister's shepherd's hook painted an Bauhaus Gold and I stole an old white hanging basket that my mother had behind her shed and painted it Rich Plum.

I picked up a green chair from Kroger's and got a steal on an outdoor rug from Home Depot - less than $25 delivered. They are lightweight outdoor rugs, but I planned on having the bench, flower pots and chair holding it down so it works fine for my use. It grounds the bright colors and let's them pop without being obnoxious. At least in my opinion.

One last task is to make a pillow. I picked up the outdoor fabric and an outdoor pillow form from JoAnn's and will be adding that very soon.

Let me know what you have been up to - leave a comment below!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the creative things you have done recently!